Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Martin
Administrator

United Kingdom
7829 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2008 :  20:40:03  Show Profile  Visit Martin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
RC, it can be several things - obviously a partial loss of insulation in or near the gauge, or slightly less obviously the design of the sender unit can give it, along with the usual scraped loom wires between the sender and the bulkhead.
The one you've probably checked is the dash earthing, especially if something else electrical has behaved oddly at the same time.

Try substituting the sender if you can't find it.

Martin
Go to Top of Page

robincapper
Net Member

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2009 :  14:28:38  Show Profile  Visit robincapper's Homepage  Click to see robincapper's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
After driving 214 km for fun and a Fish & Chip Supper, I think I love my car again *

http://rcd.typepad.com/personal/2009/01/the-northern-gateway-toll-road-or-214km-for-fush-n-chups.html

* More on the Bravo HGT, I think it stands for Heat Gives Trouble, in a future post... but the relationship a got a bit steamy a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't the temp gauge lying this time.

Regards,
Robin Capper
Now: Bravo HGT, Punto 75ELX ~ Previous 127 (903), 128 (1300), Uno 45s ~ Driven not owned 132 (1600), 850 Coupe

Edited by - robincapper on 26 Jan 2009 14:47:38
Go to Top of Page

robincapper
Net Member

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2009 :  11:10:06  Show Profile  Visit robincapper's Homepage  Click to see robincapper's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Further to the steamy relationship; Back on Jan 4th - the last day of my Xmas/New Year break - I went for a country drive to meet friends for lunch, came back the scenic way and gave the HGT a bit of a workout. It was a lovely hot sunny day so left it outside when I got home, for a good wash & vac ready as was back to work commuting on the 5th.

The next morning about halfway to work the temp gauge hit the red while in part of a motorway junction where there was nowhere to pull over safely. I wacked the heater on full (but it was cold so had an air lock) and by the time I could stop (about 1/2 km) there was a good boil up going, no lying temp gauge this time.

I had no water, no way to get some without a long walk so it was time for a trip to the mechanics on a flatbed truck. By the time it got there things had cooled down and they topped it up, pressure tested and had a good look at the radiator. There was some moisture under the plastic air intake/radiator cover but when tested no pressure loss or other sign of leaks. They kept and ran the car for over a week - handy still having the old Uno 45! - in various modes with no overheating, no problems (fan etc working fine) or sign of leaks.

Since I got it back over a month ago it has been fine, needle staying within half a click of middle once warmed up, no coolent loss, nothing. The only thing I can think of is washing it while still hot, I did hose the front spoiler/grille area, created an air lock or maybe even a pressure/thermal shock loosened one of the bleed screws on the radiator was somehow? I have, however, been driving around with one eye firmly fixed on the temp gauge!

Regards,
Robin Capper
Now: Bravo HGT, Punto 75ELX ~ Previous 127 (903), 128 (1300), Uno 45s ~ Driven not owned 132 (1600), 850 Coupe
Go to Top of Page

TH130
Net Member

61 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2009 :  09:37:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really like your hgt there Robin. Can't be many in NZ. Have only seen three so yours is the fourth. Would love that interior in my Marea Weeekend.
Go to Top of Page

robincapper
Net Member

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2009 :  02:45:43  Show Profile  Visit robincapper's Homepage  Click to see robincapper's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I was told there were "about a dozen" of the second gen HGT, similar no of the first gen. Have only seen a few myself.

BTW the erractic temp gauge was finally tracked down to a few dry joints on the panel, the erratic sunroof to dodgy power supply wiring at the fuse box which my mechanic reckons was either a dealer fit, or repair, as has different wire type to the factory stuff. All been good since (hopes that doesn't tempt fate)

Regards,
Robin Capper
Go to Top of Page

robincapper
Net Member

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2009 :  12:34:54  Show Profile  Visit robincapper's Homepage  Click to see robincapper's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Christmas means summer here so the Bravo appears at the beach under a Pohutukawa, New Zealands native "Christmas Tree"

Merry Christmas. I have some holidays and a tank of petrol... Brmm Brmm :)

Regards,
Robin Capper
Go to Top of Page

robincapper
Net Member

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2010 :  00:56:51  Show Profile  Visit robincapper's Homepage  Click to see robincapper's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
TomToms latest iOS4 upgrade has some tweaks (inc map icon) that works well in the Bravo, and had me stumble on one that seems appropriate in a Fiat . It's a bit silly but still makes new passengers laugh, just select Italian in the voice language settings :)

http://rcd.typepad.com/personal/2010/07/the-fiat-bravo-that-speaks-italian-thanks-to-tomtom.html

Regards,
Robin Capper
Go to Top of Page

robincapper
Net Member

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2010 :  03:38:48  Show Profile  Visit robincapper's Homepage  Click to see robincapper's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The Bravo got some Xmas love in the form of a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport tyres. It was on knackered Yokohama & the difference is quite noticeable. Does this mean it's safer or just more velocity before it goes wrong? :)

Regards,
Robin Capper
Go to Top of Page

Martin
Administrator

United Kingdom
7829 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  11:27:52  Show Profile  Visit Martin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Grippier tyres = Bigger smile factor...?

By the way, I assume you've found that washing the wrong parts of the engine bay behind the radiator cause the fan not to switch in? (From 12 months ago!)
One of the favourites on some Unos too - in the Mk1 tends to be the earths, but in the Bravo it tends to be a connector back of the fan on the left hand side (similar to the Mk2 Uno too).
The air-locked heater is more of a concern - its more unusual.

My Uno Turbo 'steams' after a jetwash... folks keep stopping me saying there's a hole in the radiator.... but it never is!

Martin
Go to Top of Page

julian
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
3738 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  13:28:24  Show Profile  Visit julian's Homepage  Click to see julian's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
On my son's Sei we found that the tolerances on the radiator fan plug assembly were such that there was not a guaranteed contact between the male and female contacts. I had to twist the plug to make it work and then once I'd sussed that I was able to bend the contacts slightly - lo and behold all the electrical problems in the fan disappeared. Shame it had to cost me a whole set of new parts plus a new water pump (victim to the fan not kicking in) before I figured out the fault.

Apparently this is nothing new - the Royal Navy made a similar cock-up a couple of decades ago, except it was even worse as no amount of twisting or adjusting the plugs would move the contacts... A rather large number of plugs and sockets on a whole generation of boats/ships had to be replaced.

2009 Abarth 500
Go to Top of Page

anonymous1
Forum Addict

5863 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  14:57:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

robincapper
Net Member

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2011 :  13:45:42  Show Profile  Visit robincapper's Homepage  Click to see robincapper's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Was it a display of extreme precision driving to get so close to a gate post it left a mark on the rear wheel arch, which could be buffed off without damage*, or extreme stupidity to be near it at all?

* It was a fuzzy rough sawn soft pine post with an ample cover of soft timber paint otherwise I fear the result would have been a visit to the beater and sprayer of panels. The brown scrape looked quite bad but came off without leaving a mark on the clear coat!

Regards,
Robin Capper
Go to Top of Page

robincapper
Net Member

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2011 :  13:54:30  Show Profile  Visit robincapper's Homepage  Click to see robincapper's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Martin (25-12-10), Never had the overheat problem (or heater air lock) again and could have sworn the fan was running. I think we worked out possible lowish coolent level + perhaps thermal shock from the wash (all outside the car not in the engine bay) caused a gulp of air into the system. One of the top bleed screws on the radiator was loose after the event so maybe that contributed but the boil up might have caused that. Got way with it as the engine has been fine since.

Regards,
Robin Capper

Edited by - robincapper on 28 Jun 2011 13:56:20
Go to Top of Page

Martin
Administrator

United Kingdom
7829 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2011 :  12:42:40  Show Profile  Visit Martin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, I can't recall any Fiat that doesn't behave eratically at some point after its 5th+ year. If you don't keep a diary or blog you tend to blank it.... as coolant level tends to be involved.

Dry joints that jiggle into life with car use, and then go on holiday again....

The wiring loom changes are very typical too. What do we talk about when driving the 2004 and younger Fiat Group cars, with the far eastern built looms? They'll be little to complain about then.....
except of course I hate Fiat's cornering line ruining piggin' steering assist

Martin
Go to Top of Page

robincapper
Net Member

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2011 :  01:13:50  Show Profile  Visit robincapper's Homepage  Click to see robincapper's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My garage is primarly an inde BMW shop, who tolerates my Italian preference. Maybe he's being kind (but no need as been going there for 20+ years) but was actually rather complimentary on the Bravo build quality. His opinion of more recent BMW & Merc is not so fine, dunno about more recent Fiats. Seems the drive to make cars recyclable, cost/quality reduction and length of time Kiwis keep cars is leading to some interesting failures. Esp bits like plastic engine/cooling parts, unservicable transmissions and electrical/sensor faults writing off mechanically fine cars (due to cost or inablity to get parts)

Regards,
Robin Capper

Edited by - robincapper on 16 Jul 2011 01:14:26
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sporting Fiats Club © 2003-2011 Sporting Fiats Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000