Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 News Club and General Topics
 What's On - Events UK and Eire
 Autosport International 2008 - Jan 10 - 13th

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Martin Posted - 07 Nov 2007 : 15:48:02
Who's going then and on which days?

And does anyone plan to meet up?

Trade Days for Autosport Engineering are 10th and 11th Jan....

Main public days are the weekend - 12th and 13th Jan...

- This year there's a full brochure and area for Karting.
- A full Career in Motorsport area
- More international representation from the Pacific rim....
- Virtually every major UK motorsport team is there in someway...

http://www.autosport-international.com/autosport08/intro.htm
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
abarthmark Posted - 20 Jan 2008 : 19:55:22
Did anyone see the 500 abarth in the classic auction? It looked awesome. I struggled to get round everywhere on the thursday. Went with Steve G from Track N Road and it was a case of who didn't he know at the show! I ended up leaving him to talk in the end. The show is very good, but its impossible to see everything in a day.
julian Posted - 14 Jan 2008 : 18:18:48
I didn't get into the Sabelt stand car - it was hard enough getting some vaguely clear shots especially while the girl on the stand insisted on getting in the way

The purple peril is currently residing in Norfolk with a new owner and benefiting greatly from all the little fixes I performed while I had it in my hands.
Martin Posted - 14 Jan 2008 : 17:21:54
Did you get inside the Sabelt S2000? Young model was very happy to let you! Set up/ ergonomics was better, with plumbing and wiring all hidden.... I think the difference comes with the four wheel drive shell.... I'll have to check but I suspect the RoC cars were not full works spec... I'm not sure if they even had the 4wd Sadev system - consequently they would have a 'one off' solution.

We took so long (on our second look) that the rest of the Fiat suites came and had a look at us having a look - while still talking Italian!) - I think it could actually be a good thing for Fiat UK to have a hands on Italian influence.... if only they can work together.....

PS What ever has happened to the Purple Peril??
julian Posted - 14 Jan 2008 : 12:22:52
And a few more - back to the Super 2000 and this time the interior from the well used car (the show car in the above pictures had blacked out windows):

Note the gear shift mounted alongside the steering column with what appears to be a cable operated lock for reverse or first (typical sequential box faire).
julian Posted - 14 Jan 2008 : 12:15:48
A few more - the Steyr Puch (find of the day?) in the Coy's Auction:

julian Posted - 14 Jan 2008 : 12:07:03
The first of the piccies from the show (currently loading the details into the gallery):

Martin Posted - 14 Jan 2008 : 11:52:08
Must point out there's a small you need to do to the Sei bonnet lock, to avert crinkle cut bonnets..... will need to take camera to my bonnet lock and show it.......

also when checking sump oil level - get into the habit of touching the inner lock cable with the oil on the end of the dip stick. Over time this is all it takes to help the return spring on the bonnet pull, and keep the cable inner in good nick.
Martin Posted - 14 Jan 2008 : 10:56:08
Ah, left camera in the car :( that was parked in a pub 5 miles away..... to avoid paying more than one lot of 8 for the parking).... also the light levels at the NEC are very dark (just light enough so you don't notice how dark it is).... until you come to take pictures.... when the extreme limits of the camera's flash are exposed!.... so unless you can put the camera on something still (no shake).... shots have to be close up.

When doing a stand at the NEC I always try to bring my own flood light and order stand electricity!

(Old digital camera (1 meg pixel) doesn't help either)

Talked to Unky R* - he got back ok (via Relay trailer) and once the Sei (This is Hovis we are talking about**) had been 'dried out' it started first time back home!

* for half interested browsers Unky R is RSF's name for Richard the Beaty aka 600M, RB, and things like ****** ****** and **** ****** when he's reverted to lazy ol' lardy Jags and hasn't finished off your pet engine project yet.

** Hovis is the correct name for JB's version of the 600M... even if he doesn't like it!... like 'Silver' is the one for mine - here they are together 6 months ago in Beccles....

*** This gets more confusing when Unky R calls himself 600M on this site... so you don't know whether someone is on about the cars, or the builder.... hence we use other names for the builder (quite a lot!)...

**** 600M stands for Seicento Modificatione in full (with fake Italian tan/ accent) - coz that's what the head of Supergara called them when he asked Richard what the 'M' was for..... and Richard just stood there puffing a fag and dreaming of Coventry V12s again (with temp. brain block)....

Ah - Supergara do trick things with FIRE engines in rally cars.....

Oh its got a prototype deer whistle on top - but pay no attention.....

Last year the man himself was on the Fiat stand...

600Ms - Hovis and Silver at Beccles

Emm Posted - 13 Jan 2008 : 14:11:55
quote:
Originally posted by Martin

On the show - it was the getting there that nearly did me in...... hardly made it outside my village sign before being met by van and mini-tidal wave of flood water.... route to A34/M40 blocked by swamped cars and ended up following a big lorry & van. Didn't make it out of 4th gear for ten miles... was wet (and late).

We had a good go at covering everything - (three laps of it all) even so a day isn't enough to talk to everyone. Managed to get around most of the planned stands.... alas not necessarily when you guys were there.... but I know from experience, if you don't meet up at the start or lunch it can be v difficult....

AWS has some good clothes deals - and end of line sales again.....

We had a good look at Leica based scanners/ re-engineering

There were some OK little tool offers - but as ever I though the aftermarket area deals were no more than 'loss-leaders' to get you on the stand. Its not the best show for buying parts. I totally failed to get any offer an some Sei brake pads (suggestions would be a help!!)

Not sure I understood what the Pistron Heads area was about at all.... assume road cars you've seen on TV with a custom corner. JS nearly blew a gasket looking at what they had done to some newish Porches.... pimp my porker is about the level......

nearly tripped up Trevor.... but he didn't even notice!.... looked like he was heading for the LMA area when we were heading for a well earned lunch.

yey! thanks for the gossip M!, would love to see some pics, did anyone get chance to take any?
Martin Posted - 13 Jan 2008 : 11:19:19
On the show - it was the getting there that nearly did me in...... hardly made it outside my village sign before being met by van and mini-tidal wave of flood water.... route to A34/M40 blocked by swamped cars and ended up following a big lorry & van. Didn't make it out of 4th gear for ten miles... was wet (and late).

We had a good go at covering everything - (three laps of it all) even so a day isn't enough to talk to everyone. Managed to get around most of the planned stands.... alas not necessarily when you guys were there.... but I know from experience, if you don't meet up at the start or lunch it can be v difficult....

AWS has some good clothes deals - and end of line sales again.....

We had a good look at Leica based scanners/ re-engineering - they even had a head they intended to map (so it can be re-made from billet, rather than cast saving a mass of time and money in casting....)

There were some OK little tool offers - but as ever I though the aftermarket area deals were no more than 'loss-leaders' to get you on the stand. Its not the best show for buying parts. I totally failed to get any offer an some Sei brake pads (suggestions would be a help!!)

Not sure I understood what the Pistron Heads area was about at all.... assume road cars you've seen on TV with a custom corner. JS nearly blew a gasket looking at what they had done to some newish Porches.... pimp my porker is about the level......

nearly tripped up Trevor.... but he didn't even notice!.... looked like he was heading for the LMA area when we were heading for a well earned lunch.
Martin Posted - 13 Jan 2008 : 10:48:49
quote:
Originally posted by julian

Sabelt had the "show" version of the grande punto abarth s2000 while the Fiat stand (just a few yards away) had the real deal complete with mud and battle scars and a more ordinary active sport 1.4 tjet

What's the 'show' version mean??
Shell apart from the wing mirrors and this year's display rims, it was the S2000 rally spec... Brakes, Sadev 4 wheel drive, all the S2000 body kit.... all nav & driver controls & interior... everythng except an actual rally used 2l twin spark 280bhp motor.... and a heck of a lot more realistic than the 'show' F1 cars.....

and I was saying to JS, (as we were basically sitting in it) its the only GPunto I really want!

The problem I have with the 1.4turbo - as did Jonathan, its 155bhp performance is completely underwhelming... and its heavy enough, even with the SS pack extra 15bhp for my 20 year old UT to run rings around it. JS had his 182 Clio up.... and I'd rather have one of them.

This is a problem for Abarth - I assume they have not re-done the deal with Alfa so they can use the Alfa 2litre in production.... and it looks like they have rung all they can risk out of the 1.4 block.

So the 'formula' has to be something like acquiring the totally stonking rally GP shell, 4wd, and sticking a decently tuned (say about 220bhp) 1747cc HGT engine in it. Come the next track day, that'd give a Clio Cup car a decent run for its money!

But it shows up the gap in the Abarth engine range that I don't quite understand. The tuning star engines are the 2litre in the rally car, and the 1747 (that was used in 'specially con rodded' 1600 form in the S1600)....

In Abarth and Fiat tradition, we should be seeing a bigger capacity engine... but more importantly a block to take 180-200 ftlbs of block flex (or about 40% more than the 1.4 can handle).

I'm hoping that the real limitation for Abarth is cash flow - their business plan has to start showing a return *see http://www.sfconline.org.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3244

Also I like to see this engine whenever poss!..........

The Super 2000 engine, 270bhp with restrictor, Alfa TOCA derived....
Image courtesy of Fiat Powertrain Technologies
Andy97 Posted - 11 Jan 2008 : 20:49:17
Good to put a couple of faces to names & say hi to Julian and Sumplug for the first time. I thought the show was a bit better than it has been for a few years (but still too many spotty chavs about). Spent money on bits and pieces for the new season inc a new seat & steering wheel and ordered tyres, too. Ouch. Car off to have some tin worm sorted and resprayed a new colour scheme on saturday.
julian Posted - 11 Jan 2008 : 19:44:08
Sabelt had the "show" version of the grande punto abarth s2000 while the Fiat stand (just a few yards away) had the real deal complete with mud and battle scars and a more ordinary active sport 1.4 tjet
Sei160 Posted - 11 Jan 2008 : 17:29:31
I didnt see anything fiat related at all! Did anyone els? I know i missed a fair bit but wanting to go again sunday to get bit more info from a few companies
Emm Posted - 11 Jan 2008 : 09:24:48
quote:
Originally posted by randomspeedfreak

gutted i couldnt come!
have fun all you lot

yey hope you all enjoy yourselves hope us lot stuck at home get good reports back

Sporting Fiats Club © 2003-2011 Sporting Fiats Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000